Steven B. Barrett, MT-BC
Kansas City, MO
B.A. in Music Therapy - University of Missouri at Kansas City, 1998
Private study in Percussion: Ed Soph, 1983
- Charmaine Asher-Wiley, 1970-1974
- Dr. Dennis Rogers, 1970-1974
- David Gordon, 1967-1969
Most recently performed in concert with Shania Twain, C.J. Chenier & the Red Hot Louisiana Band, and Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band.
Steve has played in many different types and styles of bands over the years. He has appeared in concert opening for Lou Rawls, Guess Who, Rick Derringer, Pablo Cruise, New England, and The Gregg Allman Band. He has toured with Bobby Whitlock, formerly of Eric Clapton's Derek & the Dominoes. Since returning to Kansas City, Steve has performed for shows at The Coterie Theatre, The American Heartland Theatre, Worlds of Fun, Kansas City's Starlight Theatre, The Ararat Shrine Circus and The New Theatre.
Steve has recorded various albums, CDs, film scores and television and radio commercials as drummer, percussionist, vocalist and composer. He has recorded voiceovers, vocals and narration for television and radio commercials and computer programs. He has also acted in front of the cameras for television commercials and his own video demo. Steve recorded a Japanese Public Television special with Bobby Whitlock and special guest Paul Shaffer of The Late Night With David Letterman Show.
Steve has released three CDs of his own music: “Steve Barrett... To a Different Drummer”, “Smooth Cruise”, and "Steve Barrett Works Vol. 3". Steve's Video Demo and digital Voice Over demo are available by request.
MUSIC THERAPY EXPERIENCE:
- Marillac Center - Overland Park, KS
- Rainbow Mental Health Facility - Kansas City, KS
- The Sherwood Center for the Exceptional Child - Kansas City, MO
- Two Rivers Psychiatric Hospital - Kansas City, MO
- Nova Center - Kansas City, MO
- Community of the Good Shepherd - Kansas City, MO
- Timberlake Care - Kansas City, MO
- Brookside Adult Day Healthcare - Kansas City, MO
- Indian Creek - Overland Park, KS
- Loving Arms Adult DayCare - Kansas City, MO
- Indian Meadows - Overland Park, KS
- Cornerbrook Place - Kansas City, MO
- Villa St. Francis - Olathe, KS
- State of Missouri Kansas City Regional Office - Kansas City, MO
- The Carlyle - Lees Summit, MO
- Carondelet Manor - Kansas City, MO
- Foxwood Springs Brookdale Senior Living - Raymore, MO
- Town Village of Leawood - Leawood, KS
- Manor Care - Overland Park, KS
PRIVATE TEACHING EXPERIENCE:
Instructor of Drums and Percussion (27 years)
- Artist Endorser of Vic Firth Drumsticks - Vic Firth Inc.
- Board Member: Pets for Life, Inc.
- Member of the American Music Therapy Association
- Member of Kansas City Metro Music Therapists
- Certified Open Water Scuba Diver - Professional Association of Diving Instructors
NEWS ARTICLES WRITTEN ABOUT STEVE BARRETT:
LEARNING CURVE: Steve Barrett, music therapist (read it)
- By Su Bacon, Special to The Star, The Kansas City Star, October 15, 2002
Steve Barrett maintains a busy but balanced musical schedule. He actively plays, teaches, records and composes original music. His three CDs of original music “Steve Barrett... To a Different Drummer”, “Smooth Cruise”, "Steve Barrett Works Vol. 3", and his video demo give the viewer and listener an idea of his talents of blending acoustic and electronic percussion with other instruments and sounds.
Steve plays and performs with an exceptional amount of enthusiasm and showmanship, and with a great sense of humor. He always strives to use his talents to make a positive impact on the future of music, performance and percussion. Steve is extremely excited by the challenge of making a difference in people's lives through the many uses of Music Therapy. As an example, Steve recently recorded and produced a stress reduction CD "Smooth Cruise" to help commuters better deal with road rage.